- Wi-Fi Upload - Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
- Dropbox Integration - Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
- Download from Web - Download files from any web server for offline playback
- Network Streams - Play any network streams support by VLC media player for desktop operating systems
- 3rd-Party App Integration - Any app with a 'share' dialog can use VLC for iOS for media playback
- Video Filters - Video playback can be modified for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation or gamma in real time.
HBO went along and updated its content streaming app and is making good use of the iOS multitasking API when using AirPlay. So, users can venture off into other apps such as Tweetbot to tweet about their favorite Game of Thrones moments as they stream it to their Apple TV. Speaking of Game of Thrones, HBO has added more enhancements to its interactive experience when watching the show on iOS.
What's New in Version 2.1
- Includes AirPlay multitasking capability -- other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.
- Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones
- General performance enhancements
Read More | HBO Go
Saying "finally" never gets old, especially when used appropriately: the YouTube for iOS app from Google is now, finally, updated to handle iPhone 5 4-inch display, as well as the two size flavors of iPad. The update fixes a head scratcher with AirPlay: Google for "reasons unknown" deciding to limit AirPlay functionality when the app first launched, even though AirPlay is on by default whenever you code an app that has any video functionally. Here is a list of more features of version 1.1.04126. Hopefully I didn't misplace a decimal point.
- Optimized for iPad and iPhone 5
- Stream videos with AirPlay
- Tap logo to open your Guide of channels
- Add and remove videos from your playlists
Read More | YouTube for iOS
Along with arrival of iTunes 11, Apple has released version 3.0 of its popular univeral Remote app for iOS. The updates has iTunes 11 support and is said to be simpler and easier to use. Plus, Apple included a redesigned experience for the iPad version which has better search and album expanded views. More after the break.
Today Amazon has released its long-awaited Instant Video iPad app on Apple's App Store. If you're an Amazon Prime member, this means that you have access to the entire Prime Instant Video catalog, but anyone can access purchased content on-demand as well. We've been playing with it this morning, and it works just as you'd expect it to, with badges indicating which pieces of content are available for free to Prime members.
One nice bonus is that the app supports AirPlay, essentially bringing Amazon Instant Video to your Apple TV. Sure, it's not built-in like Netflix or the newly-added Hulu Plus, but it still allows you to enjoy Amazon's streaming catalog on your television if you own an Apple TV. You can download the free Amazon Instant Video app now.
Monster Costume, an iOS developer focused on recreating the way children interact with books, has released Bartleby's Book of Buttons Volume 2, and it's got some nice AirPlay surprises packed in. When using an AirPlay mirroring-capable device like the iPad 2, iPhone 4, or iPhone 4S, you can send the story to your Apple TV in high definition, while the device then become a controller for progressing the story. We've been fans of Bartleby since Volume 1, and you can pick up Bartleby Vol. 2 now on the App Store. Full release after the break.
It seemed like a no-brainer for Facebook to drop an iPad app back when the original iPad launched in early 2010, but it's taken the company a year-and-a-half to finally get things in order. The wait is now over, and today you can download the official Facebook iPad app. Within the app you can browse photos at full screen, watch videos (with AirPlay integration!), and access things like the news feed, messages, Groups, chat, and more.
If you aren't seeing it in the App Store yet, it should be live shortly.
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.