- STICKY POST
- I'm done, close this
Check out our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide, win some awesome gadgets!
Our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide is in full swing - we are adding our recommendations daily, aimed at men, women, teens, families, techies, and more. If you need help figuring out what to get the people in your life, head on over to our Guide for some ideas. We’ll even be giving away some of the items featured this year!
Wednesday July 14, 2010 1:12 pm
Ratio: An indispensable cooking tool app
We’ve been playing with the Ratio app for a bit, and we must say, we’re impressed. If you are into cooking, or if you want to get into cooking, this is one of those apps that comes out and sets you free from recipes and having to follow them perfectly. The app is $5, and here’s what you can expect from it:
- The 32 critical ratios that form the backbone of the culinary arts, with instructions: doughs, batters, meat preparations, custards, sauces (pasta dough and pizza dough, sponge cake and pancakes, fritters and crepes, stocks and sauces, crème caramel and chocolate sauce.
- A calculator that figures out how much of each ingredient you need, no matter how many or how few people you want to serve.
- An ounces-to-grams converter (ratios work no matter what unit you choose to use!).
- Delicious variations for recipes on all the ratios, ideas for the creation of new dishes according to your tastes.
- An easy way to store your own recipes and notes that you’ve created from the basic ratios.
- Quick fun ways to share what your cooking with your fellow cooks, on Facebook and on Twitter.
- Ratios is also a great way to understand and tweak your own recipes, to help you make your pancakes even fluffier, your pizza dough crisper, your crème brulee richer.
Definitely nice to have in the palm of your hand, and the app is already optimized for iOS 4.
Read More | Ratio
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.